Sunday, April 15, 2007

Cape of Good Hope





Yesterday, I visited the Cape of Good Hope, which is considered to be the most south-western point on the African continent (the most southern point is at Cape Agulhas. Cape Agulhas also has the distinction of being the official location where the Atlantic and Indian Oceans meet. However, based on water temperature, this location actually varies). In 1488, the Portuguese explorer Bartholomew Dias became the first European to round the cape-there is evidence that the Chinese, Indians, or Arabians accomplished the feat before, but from the opposite direction. Dias initially named it the Cape of Storms, after the weather he experienced there. However, the king of Portugal renamed it because of the potential the route to the East had to bring riches to Europe. This is one of the most spectacularly beautiful places that I have ever been. My only other recollection of being so awed by the physical world was on a hike that led to Lake Michigan in Sleeping Bear Dunes National Seashore.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

[…] there is evidence that the Chinese, Indians, or Arabians accomplished the feat before, […]

Maybe, but they are not from Western culture, and are therefore irrelevant. Also, as you said, they did backwards. Faiiil.

Aw, Timmot, this Interblag has lousy HTML support. Italics, bold, emphasis and strong — excuse me if I do not pee myself.

Anonymous said...

I would like to apologize for K-dubs' obscene ethnocentrism. I think you have some awesome pictures and I can't wait to read some of your stories!

Anonymous said...

Like you said before Tim, Kyle never ceases in providing paradigm-changing insights, lol.